Sport features prominently at Princethorpe. Every pupil participates in Games and PE from Year 7 to Upper Sixth to keep them fit and give them a sense of well-being.
All the major traditional sports are offered at the College, but it’s also possible to try archery, trampolining, dance, sailing, golf, climbing and basketball and to get involved in equestrian competitions.
There is an extensive programme of inter-school fixtures, with A, B, C and sometimes D teams being fielded, as our approach to sport is very much inclusive. Princethorpe has a proud tradition of pupils gaining county, regional and international representative honours, not least England cricketer Ian Bell, who is an Old Princethorpian.
There is a well-equipped Sports Hall, a Fitness Centre, climbing wall and squash court. Extensive outdoor facilities include a floodlit all-weather pitch, an internationally recognised cross-country course, tennis courts and over sixty acres of games pitches and fields.
Each pupil has an afternoon games session of 100 minutes each week. Our Games sessions are organised to coincide with those of other schools so we have Year 10 Games on Monday, Year 9 on Tuesday, Year 11 and the Sixth Form on Wednesday, Year 8 on Thursday and Year 7 on Friday.
Each term the Games Department focuses on different activities:
The boys focus is Rugby in the Michaelmas Term, Hockey, Football and Cross Country in the Lent Term and Cricket, Athletics and Tennis in the Trinity Term.
The girls focus is Hockey in the Michaelmas Term, Netball and Cross Country in the Lent Term and Athletics, Rounders and Tennis in the Trinity Term.
Students have one 50 minute lesson a week of Physical Education. This is a core subject on the curriculum and a wide range of sports are covered in 7 week blocks throughout the year.
There are six main activity areas:
- Outdoor Education
- and Swimming
Pupils get a wide variety of experiences and gain an appreciation of different types of activities.
Elite Sports Programme
Princethorpe College has some exceptional sporting talent throughout the school, in both school extra-curricular clubs and clubs outside of school. As a Physical Education Department, we aim to identify this talent and provide an environment for these pupils to develop.
We choose the top 50 pupils in the school from Year 8 to Year 13, from a variety of sports. The scheme provides support and advice for pupils and creates an atmosphere where pupils of a similar situation can work together and achieve more. We have pupils who represent their county, region and their country and are constantly pushing them to become their very best.
Sixth Form Sport Scholarships
Sixth Form Sport Scholarships are available for particularly able or talented candidates.
Click here to link to information on Sport Scholarships.
Sports Leadership Awards
From Key Stage 4 to Sixth Form pupils have the opportunity to take part in the nationally recognised Sports Leadership Awards. These qualifications help pupils develop essential life skills such as organisation, motivation, communication and working with others. All of the awards are practical with minimal written work and there is no exam. Assessment is made based on the pupil's ability to lead and demonstrate their leadership skills.
- Basford Represents Europe In Pickleball’s Inaugural Bainbridge CupHuge congratulations to Princethorpe College Year 11 pupil, Will Basford, who represented Europe in the inaugural International Federation of Pickleball’s Bainbridge Cup, which took place in Madrid from September 15-17.
- Oscar's Summer Of Sport Rounded-off Representing EnglandCongratulations go to Princethorpe Sixth Former Oscar Kay who represented England at the 2017 School Games a few weeks ago!
- O’Driscoll Scoops Silver For Great Britain In The Table TennisHuge congratulations to Princethorpe College Sixth Former, Alex O’Driscoll, who scooped a silver medal in the Table Tennis at the World Dwarf Games in Canada this summer.
- South Africa 2017 – Keenly Contested Matches And Superb SightseeingOver the summer of 2017 the College enjoyed a very successful 15 day sports tour to South Africa. Taking our largest squad ever, of some 88 pupils and 11 staff, and for the first time playing three sports, Rugby, Netball and Hockey, the tour travelled to Johannesburg and then on to Cape Town for a fortnight full of keenly contested matches and spectacular sight-seeing.
- The Pinnacle – Showing What Can Be Achieved If You Are Determined!Issue 22 of The Pinnacle, our school magazine that celebrates exceptional work from across the Foundation, has just been published.
Mr Neil McCollin
Elite Sports Programme Co-ordinator, Foundation Director of Sport, Head of Games
Sep 26 Tue
- 14:15Rugby Union - Boys-U14B - Lawrence Sheriff (H)
- 16:30Rugby Union - U13A, U15A, U16A - Ashlawn (H)
Sep 27 Wed
- 13:30Girls' Hockey - 1st XI - County Championships (A) depart 12:30
- 14:00Netball - 1st VII, 2nd VII - Kingsley (H)
- 14:15Football - 1st XI - Bilton School (H)
- 14:30Boys' Hockey - 1st XI - King Edward VI, Camp Hill (A) depart 13:15
- 16:15Football - U12A, U13A, U13B - Foremarke Hall (H)
- 16:15Netball - U14A, U15A - Rugby School (A) depart 15:50
- 16:30Rugby Union - U12A, U12B, U14A - Ashlawn (A) depart 15:55
Sep 28 Thu
- 14:15Rugby Union - U13B, U13C - Lawrence Sheriff (A) depart 13:00
Sep 29 Fri
- 14:15Rugby Union - U12B, U12C, U12D - Lawrence Sheriff (H)
Sep 30 Sat
- 09:00Boys' Hockey - U12A, U12B - Loughborough High (A) depart 07:30
- 09:00Girls' Hockey - U14A - County Championships (Bablake) (A) depart 08:00
- 10:00Girls' Hockey - U13A, U14A - Edgbaston High (H)
- 10:30Rugby Union - 1st XV, 2nd XV, U15A - Bedford Modern (A) depart 08:15
- 10:30Rugby Union - U12A, U12B, U13A, U13B, U14A - Bedford Modern (H)
- 11:00Girls' Hockey - U15A - Edgbaston High (H)
Oct 01 Sun
Oct 02 Mon
- 14:15Girls' Hockey - U15A - King Henry VIII (A) depart 13:25
- 14:15Girls' Hockey - U15B - King Henry VIII (H)
- 16:15Netball - 1st VII, U14A - Higham Lane (H)
- 16:15Netball - Girls-U14A - Higham Lane (H)
Oct 03 Tue
Oct 04 Wed
- 14:00Boys' Football - 1st XI, 2nd XI - Ashlawn (A) depart 13:10
- 14:45Girls' Hockey - 1st XI - Kimbolton School (H)
- 14:45Girls' Hockey - 2nd XI - Kimbolton School (A) depart 13:15
- 16:00Netball - U16A - Warwickshire Tournament (A) depart 15:15
Oct 05 Thu
- 14:30Girls' Hockey - U13A, U13B - Leicester Grammar (A) depart 13:15
- 14:30Rugby Union - U13A - Lutterworth High (H)
- 16:15Football - U12A, U12B - Ashlawn (H)
- 16:15Netball - U12A, U13A - The Kingsley (A) depart 15:50
- 16:30Football - U14A, U15A - Ashlawn (A) depart 15:55
- 17:45Hopbel Hockey Parents MeetingLG02 - PE