Sport features prominently at Princethorpe. Every pupil participates in Games and PE from Year 7 to Upper Sixth to keep them fit and give them a sense of well-being.
All the major traditional sports are offered at the College, but it’s also possible to try archery, trampolining, dance, sailing, golf, climbing and basketball and to get involved in equestrian competitions.
There is an extensive programme of inter-school fixtures, with A, B, C and sometimes D teams being fielded, as our approach to sport is very much inclusive. Princethorpe has a proud tradition of pupils gaining county, regional and international representative honours, not least England cricketer Ian Bell, who is an Old Princethorpian.
There is a well-equipped Sports Hall, a Fitness Centre, climbing wall and squash court. Extensive outdoor facilities include a floodlit all-weather pitch, an internationally recognised cross-country course, tennis courts and over sixty acres of games pitches and fields.
Each pupil has an afternoon games session of 100 minutes each week. Our Games sessions are organised to coincide with those of other schools so we have Year 10 Games on Monday, Year 9 on Tuesday, Year 11 and the Sixth Form on Wednesday, Year 8 on Thursday and Year 7 on Friday.
Each term the Games Department focuses on different activities:
The boys focus is Rugby in the Michaelmas Term, Hockey, Football and Cross Country in the Lent Term and Cricket, Athletics and Tennis in the Trinity Term.
The girls focus is Hockey in the Michaelmas Term, Netball and Cross Country in the Lent Term and Athletics, Rounders and Tennis in the Trinity Term.
Students have one 50 minute lesson a week of Physical Education. This is a core subject on the curriculum and a wide range of sports are covered in 7 week blocks throughout the year.
There are six main activity areas:
- Outdoor Education
- and Swimming
Pupils get a wide variety of experiences and gain an appreciation of different types of activities.
Elite Sports Programme
Princethorpe College has some exceptional sporting talent throughout the school, in both school extra-curricular clubs and clubs outside of school. As a Physical Education Department, we aim to identify this talent and provide an environment for these pupils to develop.
We choose the top 60 pupils in the school from Year 8 to Year 13, from a variety of sports. The scheme provides support and advice for pupils and creates an atmosphere where pupils of a similar situation can work together and achieve more. We have pupils who represent their county, region and their country and are constantly pushing them to become their very best.
Sixth Form Sport Scholarships
Sixth Form Sport Scholarships are available for particularly able or talented candidates.
Click here to link to information on Sport Scholarships.
Sports Leadership Awards
From Key Stage 4 to Sixth Form pupils have the opportunity to take part in the nationally recognised Sports Leadership Awards. These qualifications help pupils develop essential life skills such as organisation, motivation, communication and working with others. All of the awards are practical with minimal written work and there is no exam. Assessment is made based on the pupil's ability to lead and demonstrate their leadership skills.
- U13 Girls' Netball Team Through To The National ISA FinalsHuge congratulations to the U13 Girls' Netball team for taking first place in the Independent Schools Association's (ISA) Regional Netball Championships.
- U13 Girls Are County Hockey ChampionsOn Saturday 3 February the U13 Girls' Hockey Team travelled to Bablake School to play in the Warwickshire Schools’ County Championships.
- Great Eight Qualify For National ISA Cross Country ChampionshipsEight Princethorpe runners have qualified for the National ISA Cross Country Championships following the Midlands event which took place on Wednesday 31 January at Bedstone College in Shropshire.
- Foundation Swimmers Bring Home Medals And A New Record From ISA National Swimming ChampionshipsA team of nine swimmers represented the Princethorpe Foundation at the National Independent Schools Association’s Swimming Championships at the London Aquatics Centre, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park on Sunday 21 January 2018.
- U16 Boys' Hockey Take ISA Regional TitleOn Monday 29 January Princethorpe College’s U16 Boys' Hockey team travelled to Cannock Hockey Club in Staffordshire to compete in the Independent Schools Association’s (ISA) Regional Boys' Hockey Championships.
Mr Neil McCollin
Elite Sports Programme Co-ordinator, Foundation Director of Sport, Head of Games
Feb 25 Sun
Feb 26 Mon
- 14:30Boys' Hockey - U15A, U15B - King Edward's, Birmingham (A) depart 13:10
- 15:30Football - U15A - Danetre and SLV (A) depart 14:00
- 15:30Netball - U15A, U15B, U15C - King Henry VIII (H)
Feb 27 Tue
- 14:15Netball - U14A, U14B - King Henry VIII (A) depart 13:20
- 14:30Boys' Hockey - U14A, U14B - King Edward's, Birmingham (A) depart 13:10
- 16:15Football - U14A - Danetre (H)
Feb 28 Wed
- 14:00Football - 2nd XI - Aylesford School (H)
- 14:30Netball - 1st VII, 2nd VII - Solihull School (H)
- 14:30Netball - U18C, U18D - Solihull School (A) depart 13:15
- 15:15Boys' Hockey - 1st XI - Kimbolton School (A) depart 13:15
- 15:15Boys' Hockey - 2nd XI - Kimbolton School (H)
- 16:00Netball - U15A - Warwickshire Tournament (A) depart 15:15
Mar 01 Thu
- 15:30Football - U13A - Danetre (A) depart 14:00
- 16:00Boys' Hockey - U13A, U13B - Bedford Modern (A) depart 13:45
- 16:15Football - U12A - Danetre (H)
- 16:15Football - U14A - Bilton School (H)
- 16:15Football - U15A - Bilton School (A) depart 15:55
Mar 02 Fri
- 14:00Football - U12A, U12B - Inter-house (H)
- 14:00Girls' Hockey - U12A - County Championships (Bablake) (A) depart 13:30
- 14:30Boys' Hockey - U12A - Solihull School (A) depart 13:10
- 16:15Football - U16A - Ashlawn (H)
- 16:30Football - U15A - Ashlawn (A) depart 15:55
Mar 03 Sat
- 09:30Boys' Hockey - U12A, U13A, U13B, U14A, U15B - Ratcliffe College (A) depart 08:15
- 09:30Netball - 1st VII, 2nd VII, U12A, U13A, U14A, U15A - Loughborough High (A) depart 08:00
- 10:30Boys' Hockey - 1st XI, 2nd XI - Ratcliffe College (H)
- 12:00Cross Country - Mixed - U12A, U13A, U14A, U15A, U16A - Nationals ISA Championships (H)
Mar 04 Sun
Mar 05 Mon
- 14:30Netball - U15A, U15B, U15C - Leicester Grammar (H)
- 16:30Boys' Hockey - U15A - Warwick School (A) depart 15:30
Mar 06 Tue
- 16:30Netball - 1st VII, 2nd VII, 3rd VII - Bablake (H)