Golden Jubilee Celebrations
The College's 50th Anniversary which took place during the academic year 2016-2017 has effectively come to a happy close with the final event of the year - our Golden Jubilee Ball on Saturday 1 July.
We celebrated in style with some key events aimed at the wider school community including pupils, parents, staff and former parents, staff and of course Old Princethorpians. We also published a commemorative book charting the school's history from the 60s to the present day.
To celebrate the year we are planning a magazine style publication with coverage of all the activities for distribution early in the autumn.
In the meantime to catch up on the news check out the articles to the right including a link to our video of the Golden Jubilee Ball.
Golden Jubilee Cycling Pilgrimage
Tuesday 30 May to Saturday 3 June 2017
An intrepid band of Princethorpe College staff, parents and former pupils took on an epic challenge over the May half term holiday when they cycled between the French towns of Issoudun and Montargis in the Loire Valley, as part of the College’s Golden Jubilee celebrations.
The two French towns have historic connections with the College. Issoudun being the town linked most closely to the Catholic College’s founding fathers, the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, and Montargis being the former home of the Benedictine nuns who fled France in the French Revolution to build the priory in which the school is now housed.
The 18 cyclists and their supporters travelled to France by coach and cycled the 120 miles over two days, with a rest day in between in the beautiful hilltop town of Sancerre. Over the course of the challenge the cyclists encountered extreme heat, monsoon like rain, plentiful punctures and their fair share of aches and pains.
They travelled along country roads and canal paths, through lush meadows and poppy fields, beside the beautiful Loire and up steep hills in order to complete the challenge. The end of which was marked by a civic reception hosted by the Mayor of Montargis.
Comments, Headmaster, Ed Hester, “120 miles in two days is no mean feat and all the pilgrims deserve to be congratulated. There was a fantastic camaraderie on the trip, which really epitomised Princethorpe’s spirit of family. We were received most warmly by the French people, who were fascinated by the challenge and our links to the two towns.”
The cyclists have already raised over £2,500 in aid of their chosen charity, Mary’s Meals, which sets up school feeding programmes in communities where poverty and hunger prevent children from gaining an education.
To support the pilgrims visit their Just Giving Page. Thank you!
If you have any queries about the Golden Jubilee Year please email email@example.com.
- Golden Jubilee Ball Proves Magical End To Princethorpe’s Jubilee YearIn the making for a little over two years, the final instalment of Princethorpe College’s Golden Jubilee celebrations, the much anticipated Golden Jubilee Ball, took place last Saturday 1 July.
- Cycling Pilgrimage Celebrates Princethorpe’s French Connections In Jubilee YearAn intrepid band of Princethorpe College staff, parents and former pupils took on an epic challenge over the May half term holiday when they cycled between the French towns of Issoudun and Montargis in the Loire Valley, as part of the College’s Golden Jubilee celebrations.
- Gastronomic Spin Off To Golden Jubilee CelebrationsNot many schools can boast a commemorative cheese as part of their anniversary celebrations, but as we know, Princethorpe is far from your average school!
- Golden Jubilee Ball - Have You Got The Winning 'Golden Ticket'?Preparations for the College's final celebration of its Jubilee year, the Golden Jubilee Ball, are well underway and we are delighted to reveal today who the 'golden ticket' winner is!
- Cake And Prosecco For Former Staff At High TeaOne of the final events in celebration of our glorious Golden Jubilee year was a scrumptious High Tea for former staff.
- Golden Jubilee Ball Tickets Go Live!Ticket applications for the College's final celebration of its Jubilee year, the Golden Jubilee Ball, are now live!
- Golden Jubilee Spring Concert – A True Jewel In Our Crown!The fantastic surroundings of Coventry Central Hall provided the backdrop for Princethorpe College’s annual Spring Concert on Friday 24 March.
- Golden Jubilee Airs On BBC Coventry And WarwickshireNews of the College's Golden Jubilee celebrations and the Spirit of Family Book aired to the great listening public today on BBC Coventry and Warwickshire.
- Launch Dinner Starts Making A Difference CampaignOn Friday 3 March the Development Office held a dinner to launch the 'Making a Difference at Princethorpe' campaign. The 50 + 10 Bursary Fund aims to provide at least ten full bursary places to deserving pupils whose families who could otherwise not afford the fees.
- Save The Date! Golden Jubilee Ball – Saturday 1 July 2017 From 7.30pm - 1.00amContinuing the Princefest spirit of friends, family and fun, the Golden Jubilee Ball will take place on Saturday 1 July in a beautiful marquee in the College grounds. This will be an over 18s black tie event.
- New College Feast Day Proclaimed A Triumph610 Christmas dinners, including 80 kilos of turkey, 120 kilos of potatoes, 610 pigs in blankets, 25 kilos of peas, carrots, green beans, spouts and gallons and gallons of gravy!
- Mary's Winning Christmas Card Design Celebrates Golden JubileeHer intricate design in festive green, red and gold on a snowy white background incorporates holly, robins and reindeer atop the Tower and the number 50 to reflect the College's Jubilee Year.
- MSCs Golden Jubilee Return Fittingly Marks End Of Feast DayThe occasion, part of the College's Golden Jubilee celebrations, saw the return of a number of MSC priests with very close connections to the College.
- Bumper Turnout Of St Mary's Priory Girls For Princethorpe's Golden JubileeAs part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations, twenty-five of the former St Mary’s Priory girls attended a reunion at Princethorpe.
- Grab Yourself A Princefest T-Shirt!ONLY: £6 incl Postage and Packaging or £5 for collection; the perfect way to celebrate our Golden Jubilee and will make brilliant Christmas or birthday presents!
- Princethorpe's Very Own Jubilee Tour de France - Register Your Interest Now!The charity event is open to all over 18s associated with the College who are prepared to take on the Challenge of a 120 mile cycle ride.
- Buy Your Copy Of The Golden Jubilee Book Now!Members of the wider Princethorpe community are invited to order a copy of the special Golden Jubilee Book - A Spirit of Family: a portrait of the first fifty years of Princethorpe College by Nick Baker and Alex Darkes. Those pre-ordering copies of the book, will be able to have their name or that of a loved one added to a list of subscribers printed at the back.
- Princefest Kick-Starts The College’s Golden Jubilee CelebrationsWhat a way to kick-start the College’s Golden Jubilee celebrations! On Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 September, Princethorpe opened its doors to festival goers of all ages for the much-anticipated Princefest.
- House Of Commons Makes For Jubilee Night To Remember“A fabulous night to remember,” perfectly sums up the College’s Golden Jubilee Year launch event at the House of Commons on Saturday 21 May.
- Princefest Tickets Go Live!Tickets for Princefest, a weekend of sport, music, food and friendship to kick start the College's Golden Jubilee Year go live on Saturday 14 May.